This is Nubben



The photo does not adequately capture its steepness. Much of the time I needed to use hands and legs to climb, leaning into the slope on all fours. Although we learned about it from an e-book I purchased called 24 West Lofoten Hikes, I considered it to be more of a climb and less of a hike.  It never really was possible to take a series of regular strides. It was always up, up, up, picking out foot and hand holds as you go.  We scrambled down from the top of Nubben because it looked like a rain storm was about to hit us.  Fortunately, it missed us to one side. At the higher elevations where we had to cross snow I found it easier to do a controlled slide down the snow on my butt, digging my heels into the snow to maintain control. Trygg managed both the trip up and the trip down much better than I did.  I think that might just have something to do with age.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell to our hostel at Å